Post Abortion Stress is a woman’s or a man’s response to or difficulty in processing his/her emotions after the trauma of an induced abortion. It’s a response to his/her inability to grieve his/her loss and come to peace with himself/herself. Not everyone who has had an abortion experiences post abortion stress. But for those who do, the emotional trauma can be debilitating.
How do I know I need healing?
These questions are based on the experiences of women and men who have had abortions. In reading them, be honest with yourself and be aware of any emotional or physical responses you may have.
Emotional & Physical Responses
- Do you find yourself struggling to turn off the feelings connected to your abortion(s), perhaps telling yourself over and over to forget about it?
- Have you experienced periods of prolonged depression? Do you have suicidal thoughts?
- Have you felt a vague sort of emptiness leading to a deep sense of loss?
- If you do not have children, do you struggle with a fear that you will never be able to have them?
- Do you fear you may have suffered physical harm as a result of the abortion?
- When choosing to share about your abortion(s), are you overcome with sorrow, anger, or guilt?
- Are there certain times of the year you find yourself depressed, sick or accident prone, such as the anniversary date of the abortion or the month of the would-be-birth date?
- When abortion is mentioned in public, do you find your body reacting physically (for example: tightened stomach muscles, clenched jaw, or holding your breath)?
- Are you affected by physical reminders of your abortion like babies, pregnant women, or baby clothes? Are you uncomfortable around children?
- Have you experienced any peculiar reactions (for example: hearing your baby cry, nightmares, flashbacks, hallucinations) relating to your abortion(s)?
- Are you resentful and unforgiving toward anyone for their involvement in your abortion(s)?
- Did your attitude towards relationships change? Do you find yourself avoiding relationships or becoming more dependent in them? Do you have difficulty in intimacy?
- Do you feel compelled to hide your abortion(s) from certain people in your life?
- Did your relationship with or concept of God change after your abortion(s)? Did it bring you closer to God or turn you away from Him?
- Did you begin to use drugs or alcohol or did you increase your intake following the abortion?
- Are you denying yourself anything to punish yourself? Do you struggle with eating disorders?
If you answered YES to any of the above questions, you may be suffering from Post Abortion Stress. If you would like to talk with someone, please contact our Moline center at 309.797.3636 or email@example.com.
Our post abortion recovery program is designed to help you through relief and denial, anger, forgiveness (of yourself and others), depression, letting go, and acceptance. For one-on-one or group recovery, call the Moline center to be connected with our post-abortion recovery leader.
Have you had an abortion & now regret it? You are not alone.
If you’ve chosen abortion and you need someone to talk with, we are here for you. We’ve seen firsthand the effect abortion can have in a woman’s life. We have several specially trained staff and volunteers, most of them post-abortive themselves, that can help. If you or someone you know needs help processing a past abortion, please contact Pam at 309.797.3636 or firstname.lastname@example.org.