Knowledge is power
Do you know about STD’s and STI’s?
Sexually Transmitted Diseases and Infections (STDs & STIs) are spread through vaginal, or anal sex, oral sex and skin to skin contact with sexual fluid (vaginal fluid and semen).
Condoms don’t make sex safe. According to the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), condoms only REDUCE THE RISK of some STDs like Gonorrhea, Chlamydia and Trichomoniasis. Genital Herpes, Syphilis and HPV can occur in and around genital areas that are not covered by a condom. Correct condom use is 85% effective in preventing HIV exposure.
You can have a STI or STD, never know it & pass it on to someone else.
Common STIs and STDs
- CHLAMYDIA & GONORRHEA are among the two most commonly reported BACTERIAL infections- often with NO symptoms- untreated, they can cause serious health problems in both men & women.
- Trichomoniasis is a common STI that is caused by a parasite.
- GENITAL HERPES currently infects more than 1 in 5 Americans over age 12. With NO known cure, the painful sores it causes can re-occur for years.
- HUMAN PAPILLOMAVIRUS (HPV) is one of the most common VIRAL diseases in America. Studies show nearly 1/2 of all sexually active people acquire GENITAL HPV. It causes genital warts & is linked to cancer of the cervix, mouth, throat, penis & anus.
- HIV/ AIDS has killed nearly half a million Americans. 1 out of 4 infected people are undiagnosed & unaware of their infection.
Other Stuff you may not know about STDs and STIs
- MORE THAN 1 in 4 young women are presently infected with an STD.
- 15-24 YEAR OLDS are 1/4 of the sexually active population, yet account for nearly 1/2 of the new infections reported every year. According to the Guttmacher Institute, there are NINE MILLION new infections EACH YEAR. That’s nearly 25,000 per day!
- NEW STRAINS of STDs are resistant to treatment.
- INFECTION with certain common STDs can increase your chance of contracting HIV/AIDS by up to 5 times, according to the Centers for Disease Control & Prevention (2004).
Do You Know Your Risk of Exposure?
“Many teenagers, as well as adults, are indirectly exposed to more than one sexual partner each year because their partner has had sex with someone else.” -Alan Guttmacher Institute
“When you have sex with someone, you are having sex with everyone they have had sex with for the last ten years, and everyone they & their partners have had sex with for the last ten years.” -C.Everett Koop, MD. former US Surgeon General
STAND UP, PROTECT YOURSELF & SPEAK YOUR MIND!
Sex at the right time, with the right person can be a very good thing. Sex outside the boundaries of a long term committed marriage relationship can have unexpected consequences.
Your whole life is ahead & it’s up to you to decide to protect yourself. Even if you’ve already had sex you can start now to protect yourself from STDs/STIs and an unplanned pregnancy. Saying no to pre-marital sex and sexual activity is the only 100% protection from diseases, infections & unplanned pregnancy as a single person. If you marry, you can choose a partner who is not infected & who commits to sexual faithfulness.
Make Smart Choices to Protect Yourself
- ALCOHOL & DRUGS change the way that the brain processes information. It can lead you to do things – including sex – you might not normally choose when thinking clearly.
- Be careful, and watch what you drink. Date rape drugs are often put in a drink. Don’t allow yourself to be put in a situation you’ll regret.
- STRESS and a fragile EMOTIONAL STATE can leave you vulnerable.
- Always have a “Date Plan”. Consider doing things in groups or double date. Avoid situations where there is intentional ISOLATED situations; it can lead to a loss of control.
- If you feel threatened, say NO loudly, scream, dial 911, and run.
- If you are threatened, violated, or raped, get help. Tell a trusted adult – nurse, counselor, parent, teacher or professor immediately to get help.
WHEN PRESSURED, HAVE SOMETHING TO SAY FOR YOURSELF:
- “What are you afraid of?” HPV, herpes, chlamydia, gonorrhea & lots of other sexually transmitted diseases & infections!
- “Everybody’s doing it.” Actually over 1/2 of teens in America are NOT having sex.
- “If you loved me you’d let me.” If you loved me, you wouldn’t pressure me.
- “If you won’t have sex, we’re through.” Fine- see ya!
- “We’re both virgins, so we can’t get infections.” We can still get pregnant.
- “You haven’t slept with her yet?” No man, she’s special & I respect her too much.
Free and Confidential
If you’re experiencing an unplanned pregnancy, we are here to help. We’ve been providing women and their families with free pregnancy services since 1990. We’re committed to providing accurate information in a compassionate & confidential atmosphere.
All services are free & confidential. We recognize that only you can make the choices regarding your pregnancy. We were founded to assist you in making an informed decision. We offer a listening ear, caring counsel, practical assistance, limited medical services, and educational programs.
Call us today for an appointment at 563.386.3737 or 309.797.3636.
If you would like to partner with us in providing free services to women and families in our community, you can donate online.